Monday, September 15, 2014

Engaging People, Getting them on your Side




There is much that I really like about these tips from Inc. columnist Minda Zetlin about how leaders can engage people and get them on their side.  These are fundamental human efforts, that are as perplexing to me at times, as they are to Zetlin, about why many leaders do not seem to adopt them enough.  I comment on the following screen shots of her tips:

Active listening means eye contact, open attention, and genuine interest in the other person

Seek first to understand, then be understood (rf. Stephen Covey) requires asking questions

A simple hello, an earnest how are you, and a sincere thank you can go a long way

I don't believe in apologizing for things I didn't do, but sometimes it helps to say I'm sorry anyway

People often want to be listened to and acknowledged and to have input and control

This requires EQ or empathy, and it means being honest but discreet and caring

E-mails and text messages are overused, so I agree with Zetlin: Make a more human connection

No comments:

Post a Comment